Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Currency Lasses



Unknown



The Currency Lads can fill up their glasses
And drink to the health of the Currency Lasses,
The lass I adore, the one for me
Is the lass in the Female Factory.

Molly's her name - her name it is Molly
Although she was tried by the name of Polly
Tried and sentenced to death at Newry
The Judge was bribed and so were the jury.

She was sentenced to death at Newry Town
For stealing her mistresses watch and gown.
Her little boy, Paddy, will tell you the tale
His Father is turnkey at Newry Jail.

The first time I saw this comely lass
I was at Parramatta, goin' to Mass.
Says I, "I'll marry you in an hour"
Says she, "I'll go and get Father Power".

But I got into trouble that very same night.
Being drunk on the street I got into a fight.
A policeman came up and I gave him a box.
I was put in the watch-house and then in the stocks

It's very unpleasant as I remember
To sit in the stocks in the month of December
The wind is so hot with the sun right o'er
Sure, it's no place for a lover at all.

"It's very unpleasant", says I, "Mr Dunn,
For to sit here all day in the heat of the sun",
"Either that or a dollar", says he, "for your folly".
"If I had a dollar I'd drink it with Molly."

Now I'm out again, early and late.
Crying outside of the Factory gate
Sayin', "Mrs O'Reardon and Mrs Muldoon
Won't you let my Molly out very soon."

And the Currency Lads can fill up their glasses
And drink to the health of the Currency Lasses.
The lass I adore, the one for me
Is the lass of the Female Factory.


From Warren Fahey's Australian Folk Songs and Bush Ballads.  Collected by Warren from:

Botany Bay Eclogues in the Sydney Gazette, 4 July 1832. "An excellent new Song, as it ought to be sung  in the Theatre Royal, Sydney, by Mr Bert Levy, in the character of the ticket-of-leave holder"



No comments:

Post a Comment