Thursday, May 5, 2011

Humping Old Bluey



Trad.



Humping old bluey; it is a stale game,
And that I can plainly see.
You're battling with poverty, hunger, sharp thorn,
Things are just going middling with me.

Now shearing's all over, and I'm such a swell ...
I'm riding a very fine hack.
If my friends were to see me - I'm not humping bluey,
I'm pushing a bit further back.

Humping your drum, and that after rum -
Wasting your young life away;
You're battling with poverty, hunger, sharp thorn,
Things are just going middling, I say.


This song was collected by the Sydney Bush Music Club from 70-year-old ex-shearer, Ron Mantan, who learnt the song when he was seven years old. First published in Singabout, Vol 3, #3,The Bush Music Club, Sydney, NSW, Australia. From Gary Shearston's Here and There, Now and Then album.

No comments:

Post a Comment