Friday, March 25, 2011

Jim Jones At Botany Bay



Traditional



Oh listen for a moment lads and hear me tell my tale
How o'er the sea from England's shore I was compelled to sail
The jury says "he guilty sir" and says the judge, says he
"For life Jim Jones I'm sending you across the stormy sea"

"And take my tip before you ship to join the iron gang
Dont be too gay at Botany Bay or else you'll surely hang
"Or else you'll hang" he says, says he, "and after that Jim Jones
It's high upon the gallows tree the crows will pick your bones"

"You'll have no chance for mischief there remember what I say
They'll flog the poaching out of you out there at Botany Bay"
The waves were high upon the sea the wind blew up in gales
I'd rather drown in misery than come to New South Wales

The winds blew high upon the sea, and the pirates came along
But the soldiers on our convict ship were full five hundred strong
They opened fire and somehow drove that pirate ship away
I'd rather joined that pirate ship than come to New South Wales

For night and day the irons clang and like poor galley slaves
We toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonoured graves
But bye and bye I'll break my chains into the bush I'll go,
And join the bold bushrangers there Jack Donahoo and Co

And some dark night when everything is silent in this town
I'll kill the tyrants one by one and shoot the floggers down
I'll give the law a little shock, remember what I say
They'll yet regret they sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay


To the tune, "Irish Mollie, Oh". From MacAlister's "Old Pioneering Days in the South South" (1907). Two extra lines in the third verse are from John Merediths "Bushwacker Broadsides".

No comments:

Post a Comment